- Fall (Sept. - Nov.)
- Lifeguard Certification Classes 2022
Lifeguard Certification Classes 2022
Are you at least 15 years of age? Good swimmer? Enjoy working around people? If so, you should consider getting your lifeguard certification and becoming a lifeguard with the Groveport Recreation Department. Questions should be directed to Kelsey Valine (Aquatics Manager) at 614-836-1000 x1504 or email@example.com.
Why become a lifeguard with us?
• Work at our award winning pools.• Receive a free membership to the Groveport Recreation Center and use the outdoor water park at no cost.• Your immediate family members are eligible to receive the resident rate for memberships.• Get your Lifeguard Certification Class fees reimbursed (certain criteria required).• Free re-certification.• Receive free staff uniforms, including bathing suit.• We offer flexible scheduling.• Provide amazing public service and get paid to do it.• Stay fit and get fit.• Work with like-minded people.• Gain a skill that will come in handy the rest of your life.• Work outside during the summer months.• It’s challenging both mentally & physically• Build your resume• It’s fun
1. Be at least 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course.
2. Swim 300 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing.
Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but
swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes, using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under
4. Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
▪ Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Swim goggles are not allowed.
▪ Surface dive, feet-first or headfirst, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
▪ Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with
both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able
to get a breath.
▪ Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Free Skills Training Available: Our staff will help you prepare for the Lifeguarding Class. These sessions are NOT mandatory, but are meant to provide you with an opportunity to learn and practice the Lifeguard Pre-requisites with our staff. Please email Kelsey Valine (Aquatics Manager) at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time to practice.